SOUTHEAST WARREN COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
December 11, 2006

The Southeast Warren Board of Education met in regular session December 11, 2006, in the technology lab of the Junior/Senior High School building. Board President Ron Miller called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. The following board members were present: John Burrell, Jennifer Birchette and Larrie Williams. Paul Mead arrived at 5:40 p.m. Superintendent Dr. Harold Hulleman, Secondary Principal Terry Gladfelter, Intermediate Principal Cindy Butler, Primary Principal Charlotte Weaklend, Transportation Director Joel Mosher and Board Secretary Julie Wilson were also in attendance, along with members from the community.

AGENDA: Motion by Larrie Williams, seconded by Jennifer Birchette to approve the agenda. Ayes: 4. (Paul Mead was absent from the vote.)

REPORTS:

Transportation report submitted by Joel Mosher:

We had 14 extra bus trips for the month. I spent some time lining up drivers for the up coming winter activities. I also had time completing repairs. I completed installing new diesel oxidation catalysts; these replace the mufflers and reduce diesel exhaust emissions. This was a program offered by the BEEP Partnership at no cost to the District.

Primary Principal’s report submitted by Charlotte Weaklend:

The Primary building was bustling on December 2nd during Milo’s Small Town Country Christmas, with school and community vendors – including the Boys’ Scouts and the ELP group - in the hallways, an Elves’ Workshop in the art room, babysitting in the daycare building, a Scholastic Book Fair in the media center, a Cookie Walk in the main foyer, and a community quilt show in the multi-purpose room. A total of $1,486 worth of books were sold at the book fair, enabling us to fill all of the teachers’ wish lists for their individual classrooms, as well as adding a dozen hard-backed fiction and nonfiction books to the Primary library shelves. Three hundred twenty-eight dozen cookies were sold for a profit of $986 for future purchases of playground equipment, reading incentives for the students, or character building activities, as designated by Partners in Education.

The K-6 Christmas program is being held this evening in the high school gymnasium, beginning at 7:00 p.m. This year we will be entertaining the kindergarten, 1st, and 2nd graders in high school classrooms when they are not performing, rather than asking them to sit quietly on the bleachers for approximately 90 minutes. Runners will be stationed at the door to direct them to the appropriate location as they enter the building with their parents.

Audiologists from the Area Education Agency will be back in the building on the 13th to retest a few students’ hearing and finish up the last class of preschoolers. They were here on November 21st and 22nd to do the original screenings for preschool through 3rd grade. Diane Butler, our school nurse, checks each child’s sight annually, as well. If a problem is suspected either through our testing or by classroom teachers, parents are contacted so that they can follow up with their family doctors or optician. Just today, I learned of a very serious sight problem that was spotted first by the classroom teacher. Earlier, inconsistent classroom performance and occasional unusual physical symptoms prompted one staff member to alert the teacher, AEA personnel, the school nurse, and the school administrator to a possible medical problem. After several visits to the family doctor, it was learned that the child has been experiencing previously undetected seizures. Parents often contact the school when their child is experiencing an emotional trauma either at home or at school and ask that our counselor work with the child. Routine screenings and careful monitoring of the students in our school by the entire staff help to insure good health and make the learning experience as productive and enjoyable as possible.

Intermediate Principal’s report submitted by Cindy Butler:

Mid-term reports went home on Friday, December 1st. Every 4th-6th grade student receives a copy of his/her grades in all the academic classes at this time. Progress reports on all IEP goals are sent home with mid-terms.

The after-school tutoring program began last week. The numbers were low this first week, but we anticipate more students will take advantage of the opportunity after the first of the year.

The district leadership team met on November 27th. All team leaders reported on the activities of their reading teams. Then the group discussed a book we all read titled Sixteen Trends: Their Profound Impact on Our Future. Our discussion focused on how each trend may impact Southeast Warren Schools and what, if anything, we can do to prepare for it. One of the most interesting discussions took place around Trend 3, “Social and intellectual capital will become economic drivers, intensifying competition for well-educated people.” This trend supports our efforts to require more rigorous course work of our students and stronger credit requirements in math and science. The world is changing so quickly that we cannot even imagine what jobs our students will hold in the future. We know we can’t teach them everything, but we should teach them to be thinkers, to be problem-solvers, and to work well with others.

The next early out will be Thursday, December 14th. The teachers from the primary and intermediate will meet in Lacona to learn another trait from the Six Traits of Writing.

Secondary Principal’s report submitted by Terry Gladfelter:

DE Visit – On November 29, 30, and December 1, I had the opportunity to participate in a Department of Education site visit at the Earlham School District. It was a very educational and demanding experience. SEW will be having a DE visit next year. I wanted to attend so that I would know how to prepare. It will take a lot of time during the second semester to prepare the information that will be needed. You will hear more about this through the second semester.

State Drill Team Competition – Congratulations to the Adrenaline Dance Team for their recent ratings at state competition. The girls received a Division I rating in the Hip Hop category and placed 4th in Pom. Congratulations to the girls and Ms Dierking.

Senior Citizen Luncheon – Thank you Mr. Tigner and the members of the National Honor Society for their organization and completion of this annual event. The community was very gracious and appreciative of the event. Thank you to the Chorus and Band for their entertainment. There were about 85 guests in attendance.

Speech Team – Ms Granger our Jr. High Language Arts Teacher is also a certified judge in speech. She has organized a speech team and they will be competing this winter and spring. There are 15 students in the group.

Bowling – Mr. Gary Dittmer has agreed to sponsor the bowling team this year. Annually, a $500 stipend is paid by the Bowling Federation. There are 21 members on the team – 11 boys and 9 girls.

Security Cameras – Last Wednesday, New Millennium Technology a security group from Indianola came and made a presentation concerning security cameras. They made a presentation using a 4-camera system. Their computerized system will record continuously for 30 days before overriding existing recordings. We are exploring costs and options.

D/F List – The chart below shows the number of F’s, D’s, and the # of students involved since the beginning of the year as compared to last year. The staff has also looked at this data.

D/F List Comparison

7th
8th
9th
10th
11th
12th

F
D
#
F
D
#
F
D
#
F
D
#
F
D
#
F
D
#

Mid Term 9/05
Mid Term 9/06

1st Quarter 10/05
1st Quarter 10/06

Mid Term 12/05
Mid Term 12/06

The Drama department has received 25 free tickets to the musical “Doubt” on Wednesday evening. The tickets were awarded based on a letter submitted by Alan Gardner to KCCI highlighting the Southeast Warren Drama department.

Repairs will be made to the Jr./Sr. High School heating system during the holiday break. The approximate cost for the repairs will be $4,000.

Athletic Department report submitted by Dave Ripperger:

Volleyball - High School Volleyball was recognized by the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union for achieving the “Excellence in Academic Achievement Award” for receiving a 3.256 1st quarter GPA.

Wrestling - The season started with twenty-two boys taking body-fat testing prior to the first practice. Currently there are sixteen boys (of these only eight are Southeast Warren students).

The transition of including Melcher-Dallas is going extremely well and perhaps better than expected. Of the sixteen wrestlers, eight are from Melcher-Dallas. These boys are exceeding expectations and have shown a willingness to work hard. They are contributing as well. Of the fourteen potential weights, six will have a Melcher-Dallas student athlete representing Southeast Warren.

Potential conflicts between the groups have been few if any, and I have not heard of one problem between the students. The student leaders have stepped up and are policing the squad regardless of hometown. There is separation within the group as a whole at times, which I will attribute to comfort levels. Melcher students will pair with Melcher students, and SEW will pair with SEW, but I think that has more to do with familiarity than animosity. The coaching staff has taken it upon themselves to try to separate the boys so they get to know each other better

Success so far this season has been somewhat limited. We started the first dual out with only eight varsity wrestlers. This was due to ineligibility, injury, and illness. We dropped the first two duals and finished last place at the Woodward-Granger Tournament. We still have people wrestling at weights that are too big for them, but as they settle down we will become more competitive. Currently we have two wrestlers that are undefeated (Carl Davis and Spencer Bauer).

Our first home dual is next week, Thursday, December 14.

Girls Basketball - There are sixteen girls out for basketball at this time.

The season has been going well. We scheduled an early season game (November 27 vs. Iowa Christian Academy) so we could have an early season match up before we started playing our Pride of Iowa opponents. This allowed coaches to help assess the team to better prepare for our POI opener with I-35. The girls are currently 1-2 (as of December 7).

There have been a lot of home games thus far, which will mean fewer home games to start the season next year.

Boys Basketball - Eighteen boys on the roster for this year’s basketball team.

The boys have actually had a great start to the season though. Currently 2-1, the squad has shown growth from last year and potential for continuing to improve. The POI conference is extremely strong this year with many teams who are state caliber.

One wrinkle Coach Burrell has added to the season is the challenging of varsity players for their positions on the bench. Taking a page from wrestling, Coach Burrell is allowing junior varsity players to challenge for a jersey and a spot with the varsity squad. By allowing the boys to test each other by one-on-one contests each week. Coach Burrell feels this will make the squad work harder and not take their positions for granted. It is a novel idea that should work well for the squad.

Speed and Agility - We have been trying to start our second session of speed and agility training but numbers have been low. This has made us push the start session to January 8.

The first session was extremely successful. The Booster Club had agreed to help fund the program that saw nineteen student athletes complete the pre- and post-testing of speed and agility. These students cut an average of .21 seconds off their 40-yard dash time (one student cut .74 seconds off of their pre-test time).

The program is under the supervision of Sue Wilson, a licensed trainer at Indianola Physical Therapy. This program has proven to be successful at other neighboring schools (Bondurant-Farrar especially). Individuals who attend gyms like Acceleration Iowa pay over $300 for similar services, but with the support of the Boosters we are providing this to the students of Southeast Warren for free.

I have personally seen a difference in many of our student-athletes especially the volleyball team (who had one of the most successful seasons in recent history) and many of the girls who are playing basketball are noticeably quicker. This is an opportunity that we need to take advantage of before other rival schools realize the difference it is making (Martensdale-St. Mary’s is already inquiring).

Participation - As I have noted earlier in some of the season updates our numbers are down across the board in many of the sports. This is a disturbing trend. What we are seeing is a number of students are choosing not to participate year round representing the school and the community. They are, instead, deciding to specialize in only one sport, not go out because of the coach’s expectations, or focus on taking a job for income. A look at the numbers are telling:

Boys
Girls
Total Number of HS Students
Fall sport participants
Winter sport participants
Students not involved in winter organized sports

This is disturbing on two fronts. First it shows a lack of dedication and understanding the importance that all sports provide to each other. Each sport adds to the other through common motions and movements. Sports also provide lessons of dedication and towards the improvement of the person (student athletes learn self-discipline, responsibility, loyalty, and commitment). This lack of understanding or willingness to be involved is hurting our winter sports.

The other front is the unwillingness to participate as a junior varsity member. While students are willing to be junior varsity participants in football, they are failing to see the importance for our winter sports. Without the experience gained at the junior varsity level, our teams in the future will lack the competitive intensity they will need for the success of our future programs, not just football, but all activities.

The question is, how can we fix this? That may prove to be the million-dollar question. Many of the coaches on the staff have been pushing for multiple sport participation, realizing the success it should bring to their own sports. It does feel as though it has fallen on deaf ears with the student-athletes. Students have become unwilling (as I have mentioned above) and parents have become unwilling to encourage their children to become involved. This should not be acceptable for a school of our size and our reputation for athletics.

One idea that could help solve the situation is found at one of the members of the Pride of Iowa Conference. They honor the student-athletes who have been sixteen-time letter winners by placing their names on an engraved plaque found in the cafeteria. By talking to some of the students at the school, I know that this has increased involvement in many sports.

I feel there may be other solutions out there that may be helpful to correct this participation issue.

Juvenile Court School Liaison Officer report submitted by Tonya King:

The following is a brief description and summary of what I have done during the first quarter and since starting as the School Liaison for Carlisle High School and SEW High School on August 14, 2006.

I have been supervising the cases of students who come under jurisdiction of Juvenile Court by monitoring and assisting in their compliance with probationary terms or diversion assignments, as well as making them accountable for their actions. To date there are currently 13 students who meet these criteria in the Carlisle school district, and one case pending. There are currently 2 other students, that I am aware of, meeting this criteria who are involved with Polk County Juvenile Court, bringing the total of students to 15. In SEW I have been working with 6 students meeting this criteria and there is currently one case pending.

I have been developing and offering a program to focus on prevention of future delinquent acts. For example I have been using STOP for some of the students I am working with and have utilized the Conflict Resolution program with 10 students to date.
(Nine students from Carlisle and one student in SEW). These students attend the classes on an individual basis and focus on coping skills and anger management, with emphasis on choices vs. consequences. These students were referred following altercations at school (only one is Juvenile Court involved at this time). Hopefully, court involvement will be avoided for these students.

I have been meeting and tracking the academic, emotional, and behavioral progress of students and/or families in the district who are on the Department of Human Services caseload. There are currently 4 students I am working with in this area. I have made two referrals to CPI regarding possible abuse issues and these cases are still pending.

I have served as a resource for students and families who are experiencing difficulty in several aspects of their lives, i.e. drug/alcohol abuse, behavior disorders, emotional distress, and mental health issues, directing people to appropriate area services and encouraging self-empowerment in addressing their problems. I have served several in this area, approximately 30 students in Carlisle district and approximately 20 in the SEW district. Some of these cases have been dealt with in collaboration with Mr. Calhoun, Mr. Anthony, and Mr. Gladfelter.

I have helped to foster and encourage positive relationships between the school district, Juvenile Court, Department of Human Services and other area agencies by offering support and developing working relationships. I encourage positive relationships between these entities by taking time to explain actions/procedures, by offering positive reinforcement, by making home visits, (help to fill out appropriate paperwork), and answering questions.

I have helped to identify and monitor students in violation of Iowa truancy laws, as well as students with excessive absences, and tardies, helping to develop and/or improve attendance. This has been a rather large part of my position to date, with as many students as are enrolled at both schools, this can keep me pretty busy. I do this in conjunction with Leah Heideman, Mr. Calhoun, Mr. Anthony, Brenton Tigner, and Mr. Gladfelter, as well as by monitoring the attendance rosters.

In the two districts I am working in, I also believe it is very important to incorporate into this program involvement with students who are considered “at – risk”. At-risk refers to the perceived risk that a particular student will drop out of school, get kicked out of school, or not successfully reach their potential as a student or young adult in some way. This Liaison Officer tries to be available and non-threatening to students who are in need of guidance, support, or positive attention. Uninvited intervention is sometimes necessary on behalf of the child, and pursued until rejected or discouraged by the student or parent/guardian. My involvement with at-risk students has included such things as offering appropriate advice, encouraging positive decision making, helping students to process choices/actions/resulting consequences, giving support, being a positive adult role model, and sometimes doing a one-on-one study hall for a student who has been removed from a class.

Brief Statistics:

Juvenile Court Referrals: (Includes; Possession of Alcohol, Possession of Illegal Substance, Assault, Driving w/suspended License, Driving Motor Vehicle without Owner Consent, Theft, Concerns/Previous involvement. Total to Date: 21 (two pending), the total includes both school districts.

School Referrals: Combined Schools
Attendance: 20
Runaway: 7
Substance Abuse: 11
Peer Conflicts: 21
Home Problems: 17
Pregnancy: 2
Misc. Behaviors: (tardies, classroom problems, etc.) 36
Homeless: 1

Parent Referrals: 6
DHS Referrals: 6
Home Visits: 5
CPI Referrals: 2

Student Placements:
Short Term: 5 (Meyer Hall, Lutheran Hospital, Mercy Franklin, YESS,
South Central Youth and Family Services, other)
Long Term: 3 currently in PACT, and 1 currently in Polk County Shelter awaiting placement, and 1 placed in Eldora, Total: 6

Expulsions/Drop Outs: Since the beginning of the school year a total of 14 students have transferred to other school districts, 11 have dropped for the semester and/or pursuing DMACC diplomas. There has been one expulsion to date.

I have coordinated with the following agencies:

Warren / Polk County Juvenile Court Services
Warren County Department of Human Services
South Central Youth and Family Services
PACT
Prevention Concepts
WE LIFT Program
Children and Families of Iowa
Four Oaks of Iowa
Woodward Trackers
Lutheran Social Services (LSI)
ARS (Americas Rising Stars)
Heartland Area Education Agency
Carlisle Police Department
Warren County Sheriff Department
Various other Counselors and therapists

I will be compiling a quarterly report for your school and School Board members at the end of each quarter, followed by a year-end report in June. If there is any information that is not contained in this brief summary please let me know as I will add and monitor it for the next report.

Children First Forum – The main topic of discussion at the last Children First Forum meeting was the follow-up survey of Southeast Warren graduates.

CONSENT AGENDA: The following items were on the consent agenda:
1. November 13, 2006 minutes
2. Financial reports

Motion by Jennifer Birchette, seconded by John Burrell to approve the items on the consent agenda. Ayes: 4.

SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT: Dr. Hulleman reported on the following items:
1. IASB will be holding an ABLE Workshop: The Board’s Role in Establishing and Reaching High Expectations in Pella on January 18.
2. An updated list of community groups that Dr. Hulleman has and will be presenting results of the community survey to was given to board members.
3. Sportsmanship ratings for the 2006-2007 football season have been received. Coaches and spectators were rated in the top 10% of the state and players were rated just slightly below the top 10% ranking.
4. An article titled “How to Bring Our Schools Out of the 20th Century” was given to board members.
5. School Finance: The Board reviewed how the budget enrollment is computed and how it affects the budget.

INSTRUCTIONAL SUPPORT PROGRAM: The Instructional Support Program Levy will expire at the end of FY 2007. A description of the process to renew the Instructional Support Program was given to board members. The process to renew the levy will be started after the first of the year.

PERSONNEL CHANGES: Dr. Hulleman recommended approving an increase in Carol Carr’s contract from 7/8 time to full time effective the beginning of the second semester and approval of the appointment of Elmer Stillwell, Substitute Bus Driver.

Motion by Paul Mead, seconded by Larrie Williams to approve the increase in Carol Carr’s contract from 7/8 time to full time. Ayes: 5.

Motion by John Burrell, seconded by Larrie Williams to approve the appointment of Elmer Stillwell as Substitute Bus Driver. Ayes: 4. Paul Mead abstained from voting.

PARKING LOT PLANS: The Board discussed the parking lot plans and specifications for the Jr./Sr. High School parking lot and the Primary parking lot. Dr. Hulleman will follow up with Dan Hagen on several questions the Board had concerning the plans and specifications.

Motion by Larrie Williams, seconded by Paul Mead to approve the plans and specifications for the Jr./Sr. High School and Primary parking lots pending answers to the questions from the Board. Ayes: 4. John Burrell abstained from voting.

Motion by Jennifer Birchette, seconded by Paul Mead to fix the date of January 15, 2007, for the hearing and letting and order the publication of the Hearing and Letting. Ayes: 5.

SCHOOL BUS SPECIFICATIONS: Joel Mosher requested Board approval to seek bids for a 2006/2007 65-passenger school bus. The Board requested that the specifications include an option for the installation of a camera. Motion by John Burrell, seconded by Larrie Williams to approve the school bus specifications and authorization to advertise for bids. Ayes: 5.

DISTRICT #8 IASB BOARD MEMBER: Motion by Paul Mead, seconded by Jennifer Birchette to vote for William Morain as District #8 IASB Board Member. Ayes: 5.

BOARD POLICY 503.9R: Dr. Hulleman related to the Board that revisions to the timeline in the appeal process had been made to Board Policy 503.9R, “Good Conduct Rule Grades 7-12”. Dr. Hulleman recommended approval of the revisions to Board Policy 503.9R. Motion by Paul Mead, seconded by Larrie Williams to approve the revisions to Board Policy 503.9R, “Good Conduct Rule Grades 7-12”. Ayes: 5.

BOARD POLICY SECTIONS 504 AND 505: The Board reviewed policy sections 504, “Student Health and Safety Regulations” and 505, “Miscellaneous Related Matters”.

President Ron Miller adjourned the meeting at 7:13 p.m.

Return to top

Calendar
Nutrition
Online Grades
Homework Help

Questions or Comments?
E-mail the