REQUIREMENTS FOR HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION
For a student to graduate, a minimum of 6 1/2 credits must
be taken each semester. Students may take more than 6 1/2 credits
per semester, but a minimum of 6 1/2 is required.
& 2016 Requirements
1 Credit = 1 Semester
Bold = Required
| Language Arts
|2 - English 9
2 - English 10
2 - English 11
2 - English 12, British Liturature, Creative Expression,
Advanced Composition, Oral Communications, Foundations 1,
|2 - Pre-Algebra or Algebra I
2 - Algebra I or Geometry
2 - Geometry, Algebra II, Advanced Math, Statistics, Consumer
2 - Physical Science (9)
2 - Biology (10)
2 - Chemistry, Physics, Anatomy & Physiology, or Environmental
*4 - Animal Science and Advanced Animal Science (2 years)
may be used to replace one of the above
(not accepted as college entrance science)
|1 - World Geography (9)
2 - World History (10)
2 - U. S. History (11)
1 - Government
2 - Social Studies Electives
|Business & Office Education
|1 - Computer Applications
1 - Civics
1 - 21st Century Living
||Required for graduation
|5 required credits = 2
Liberal Arts + 2 Vocational + 1 either of the two areas
|2 - Any Art or Music course
or Foreign Language
|2 - Any Business, Family
& Consumer Science, Industrial Tech., Agriculture, Health
|Liberal Arts or Vocational
|1 - Any of the above Liberal Arts
|Sub-Total - required
| Note - if desiring to go to Iowa or
Iowa State, 2 years (4 credits) of a Foreign Language are
|Total required for
Southeast Warren High School
Southeast Warren School Core Diploma
A student is considered a Southeast Warren High School graduate if the student receives
a diploma approved by the local Board of Education. Students who receive a GED or a DMACC
high school adult education diploma are not considered to be graduates of Southeast Warren
High school diplomas are issued by local school districts only.
- The alternative diploma is designed to prepare students to complete a high school diploma,
who otherwise may be considered a dropout.
- One-hundred percent of eligible public school students in grade 11 will be tested
using the Iowa Tests of Educational Development as a standardized assessment for
and science. Students earning the core diploma will be required to complete this
- The personal needs of each student will be considered when making application
for the core diploma. The team will develop an individualized plan for each student.
- The student and parent/guardian must request their child be allowed to earn the
core diploma, but only after approval by a building principal.
- A contract must be completed, and a meeting held with the student, parent, counselor,
and a building principal for final approval.
- The total number of credits required for the completion of this diploma is 36.
- Students will earn fewer total credits, but must demonstrate competency in the
core academic areas.
- A student may be placed on a modified schedule to accommodate his/her academic
- There is a continuation component to the program if students are involved in
personal or medical situations that cause them to leave school.
- This alternative diploma is awarded to students that complete the requirements
successfully. This diploma will be entitled a Southeast Warren High School Core
Diploma. Students completing
the program will not be included in the final class rank.
- Students progress will be reviewed semi-annually.
- Students completing the program successfully will have a separate transcript
that will indicate a Southeast Warren School Core Diploma. Southeast Warren High
keep all students records, grade cards, and standardized test results.
- Students who complete the program successfully will be allowed to participate
in the Southeast Warren High School commencement exercises.
- Students involved in this program will be allowed to participate in extra-curricular
activities at Southeast Warren High School.
- Students earning the Southeast Warren High School Core Diploma will not be
allowed to officially graduate and be recognized as a graduate at commencement
until the class they started kindergarten with graduates.
Requirements for Core Diploma
8 credits Language Arts
6 credits Math
6 credits Science
6 credits Social Studies
(includes United States History, World History, Geography, & Government)
3 credits Physical Education
1 credit Computer Applications
1 credit Career/Tech
5 credits Electives
Completion of the Southeast Warren High School Core Diploma program will be done on
site at Southeast Warren High School or the Indianola Learning Center. This program
will be found on the principals of appropriateness, flexibility, and credibility. The
is appropriate because it may be used with high school students through semi-independent
study courses. These courses will enable students to earn full credit, make up deficiencies
for graduation and study at their own pace. Accurate records are kept to allow for
course interruptions and continuation of classes for students with special circumstances.
Core Graduation School Student – Parent