SOUTHEAST WARREN COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
Organizational Board Meeting
October 8, 2007

The Southeast Warren Board of Education met in regular session October 8, 2007, in the ICN room of the Junior/Senior High School building. Board President Ron Miller called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. The following board members were present: Paul Mead, Larrie Williams, John Burrell and Jennifer Mihalovichh. Superintendent Dr. Harold Hulleman, Secondary Principal Terry Gladfelter, Intermediate Principal Cindy Butler, Primary Principal Charlotte Weaklend, Transportation Director Joel Mosher and Board Secretary Julie Wilson were also in attendance, along with members from the community.

AGENDA: Motion by Paul Mead, seconded by Larrie Williams to approve the agenda. Ayes: 5.

FFA TRIP TO NATIONAL CONVENTION: FFA students presented the itinerary for the trip to the FFA National Convention in Indianapolis, Indiana, from October 23-26. Eight students and four chaperones will be attending the convention. FFA will pay the hotel and registration expenses for all students and adults. The students and adults will be expected to pay for their meals. Motion by Jennifer Mihalovichh, seconded by Paul Mead to approve the trip to the FFA National Convention. Ayes: 5.

REPORTS:

Transportation report submitted by Joel Mosher:

We had 31 extra bus trips for the month. The month was spent doing general repairs. A lot of time was spent planning the four-year-old preschool program route, including the noon route and early dismissal route.

Primary Principal’s report submitted by Charlotte Weaklend:

· October promises to be a busy month at the Primary with:

Ø our first round of K-3 DIBELS testing
Ø fall student portraits
Ø Fire Prevention Week
Ø the building energy audit
Ø end of the first quarter
Ø Red Ribbon Week
Ø Kindergarten Grandparents’ Week
Ø the first of our second/third grade Accelerated Reader reward parties
Ø the first of Mr. Babcock’s “Positive Parenting with Love & Logic” classes
Ø Ronald McDonald character assembly
Ø the delivery of PIE’s first fundraiser of the year
Ø the start of the in-depth QPPS training for our preschool teacher in Adel
Ø the start of regular preschool District/AEA team meetings
Ø mandatory self-assessment of our preschool program
Ø the anti-bullying training for all K-3 teachers and staff.

· On September 11th, the third graders traveled to the Iowa State University McNay Research Farm near Derby, Iowa. There they learned about good nutrition and the connection between Iowa’s farms and the American family dinner table. This special field trip was provided through the support of several county-based extension services, Farm Bureau organizations, Cattlemen’s Associations, as well as local area schools’ FFA chapters. This trip, along with a group picture, was highlighted on the education page of the October 3rd Record Herald. Facts learned by the students were listed on the back of the September 14th and 21st Primary parent newsletters. What a great opportunity for our youngsters!

· We are again fortunate to be able to host Ronald McDonald on the 23rd as he gets the students up and moving, shares a message of good health habits, and encourages teamwork and citizenship. I was pleased that they were willing to provide separate assemblies for the Primary and the Intermediate centers this year. That has not always been the case. A big thank you to our local McDonald’s restaurants who pick up the tab for these assemblies.

Intermediate Principal’s report submitted by Cindy Butler:

October 2, I attended a literacy meeting sponsored by the Department of Education. A presentation by Tim Shanahan from the University of Illinois “How Do You Raise Reading Achievement?” centered on his Literacy Improvement Pyramid as shown below.

The Pyramid starts at the bottom with those things research has identified as making the most difference in reading achievement.
· Many correlational studies show the importance of leadership in school improvement
· Amount of instruction is the biggest alterable factor in student learning (2-3 hours of reading and writing instruction K-12)
· Explicit curriculum is important in ensuring that teaching occurs
· Professional development has to focus on how to teach/assess
· Need to assess student learning frequently in order to make needed adjustments
· Instructional materials should be consistent with research
· Regular program will not be sufficient for all kids
· Parents often need guidance to support learning
· Environment that encourages/supports learning
· Need to build motivation into your programs at all levels – to keep everyone moving towards the goal

Secondary Principal’s report submitted by Terry Gladfelter:

Homecoming – Mrs. Mitzelfelt and the Student Council are to be commended for their planning and organization of this year's Homecoming. Though all did not turn out as expected, Mrs. Mitzelfelt and the students did spend a great deal of time putting together events and activities for the week. I want to publicly acknowledge their efforts.

MAP Testing - Testing has been completed and we are preparing to get the results. We will be distributing the results through our Connections groups and teaching our students how to interpret their data. This MAP report now shows data for the past five years. Students will be able to view their academic progress. It will also provide the staff with good information on our progress and areas of needed improvement. Further data will be presented next month.

Pursuing Victory with Honor – This conference is going to be held in Des Moines on October 30 for students and coaches throughout the state. We will be sending 12 students and 3 coaches to this event to further promote the positive aspects of team sports, leadership, and sportsmanship.

D/F List (Mid Term) – The following table shows a comparison of the number of D’s and F’s from last year to this year. I would like to see fewer F’s but overall totals show a decrease from last year.

Year Fs Ds Total Number of Students
8-Jul 60 121 181 102
7-Jun 57 149 206 114

3R Program – We are continuing our 3R this year. It is based on “Respect, Responsible, and Role Model.” When a teacher or staff member observes a student demonstrating one of the three traits they inform me and I have a certificate prepared for the student. We meet, award the certificate, and have some type of treat (food) for the student. These are the students recognized so far this year:
Tiffany Bailey, Alisha Bales, Justin Brummer, Emily Claghorn, Ashley Clay, Jake Carnes, Carl Davis, Jake Delay, Heidi Dittmer, Tristan Gardner, Amy Kimzey, Emmett Konrad, Brandon Knight, Madison Martin, Ashley Mills, Emily Nutting, Travis Owens, Austin Putz, Amanda Quinn, Joe Ripperger, Ruth Sorensen, Brody Schaeffer, Alex Sudbrock, Dylan Webb, Bret Yeggy, Zach Yeggy

Trap Shooting Team – Last year Mr. Dirkx worked with a group of our students and formed a trap shooting team. They competed at local, regional and state events as a team and as individuals. We have had 9-10 students involved with the activity and the Isaac Walton League sponsors it. Last year we were the only team in the area, but this year Indianola also has a team. In northwest Iowa this is a significant activity with students being able to letter in the event.

Athletic Department report submitted by Dave Ripperger:

Football
Boys are playing well despite some of the adversity they are dealing with. Still an outside shot at making the playoffs. Will have to win all of the games they are supposed to and have some help from other members of the district to have a shot.

Volleyball
We will be hosting four volleyball matches here (Oct 15, Oct 17, Oct 23, and Oct 25).

The girls are starting to play well at the end of the season. Although the team has not lived up to expectations, I feel, through my conversations with Mr. Dicks, that most of the problems have dealt more along the lines of personality conflicts and inability for the team to mesh than with the coaching. I speak to many of the players on a daily basis. When I ask them if they are having fun, they always answer with a resounding yes.

Cross Country
Mr. Tierney has about five student-athletes out (two boys, three girls). They continue to show progress and the hope is that there will be a strong showing at the district meet.

JH Athletics
Ineligibility has not been as serious of a problem as there has been in the past for the JH Football team. In years prior we have had to finish the season by playing only one JH FB game. In speaking with Mr. Carr many of the students that were ineligible have “earned” back their privileges.

JH Volleyball is going extremely well. These girls have shown a tremendous amount of improvement from last year to this year and during the season itself.

Softball and Baseball
We have will be hosting an invitational tournament for both baseball and softball this spring on May 24. This was a request that was made by the coaches last year and we have finally had enough interest from other schools to pursue this event. Trophies and an All-Tournament team will be the awards provided. This event will be an excellent opportunity for us to showcase both of our highly successful summer sports.

The baseball tournament will only have three teams (hoping to find a fourth team through posting on the IHSAA website and through mass emails to schools throughout the state). Madrid and Bondurant-Farrar have expressed interest. We will play both schools in a round-robin format. State rule limit the number of games played in a day to two.

The softball tournament will be highly competitive. I have confirmations from Newton, Des Moines Christian, Southeast Webster, and Woodbury Central. I have also been talking to Clarke Community and they are interested. This field is highly competitive (some of these teams are in contention for state tournament appearances) and should be fun to watch. Once again, I would like to add two more teams to create a classic tournament, but for the time being we will be doing two pools with three teams, playing each team and then pairing up for a championship game. A tournament this size will lead us to have to play at two sites (our HS Softball field and the Milo Little League field). I have already discussed using the Milo diamond with Joel Mosher and he has assured me that it will not be a problem.

Pursiuing Victory with Honor Summit
This is an annual event sponsored by the Character Counts! in Iowa organization and has the full support of the IGHSAU, the IHSAA, UNI, Iowa State, and the University of Iowa. This year’s event will be held October 30 at Drake University. We participated in this same summit two years ago when it was in Ames and I felt that it was very worthwhile to attend again. The summit focuses on improving sportsmanship and the leadership of our student-athletes. I have personally used a lot of the information from Pursuing Victory with Honor in preparing my slide shows for the beginning of the school year.

I first approached Shelly Mitzelfelt, as the advisor to the Student Council, and asked for some help in funding this trip. The only condition she held was that there would be several members of the Student Council in attendance. With that in mind I tried to select students who were members of the council and held leadership positions within most of the sports we offer at Southeast Warren. I tried to get a balance of girls to boys and emphasized the numbers of sophomores and juniors who will continue to use this information in future seasons. Attendees include: Kacee Arey, Ed Steil, Wade Williams, Torey Mason, Jamesa Wadle, Seth Nutting, Kylee Horton, Skylar Thornton, Kayli Schurman, Kara Gaul, Tara Hommer, Sydney Smith.

Two coaches and myself will be in attendance (John Burrell and Phil Oliver). I wanted to select a girls coach but was unable/unwilling to because they either worked outside of the building or will soon be retiring. I wanted to look at how we would benefit the most student-athletes in the long run. While the Student Council will be supporting the student-athletes, the athletic department will be paying for the coaches to attend.

If you have any questions about this event don’t hesitate to call me.

Boys Basketball Tournaments
Received word from the IHSAA that we will be hosting three rounds of basketball playoff games here on Feb 11, Feb 14, and Feb 19. Teams will not be decided until after January 26.

Curriculum: Pat Butler and Sara Seligman presented information on CORI (Concept Oriented Reading Instruction). All of the fourth through sixth grade teachers have now been through the CORI training. CORI principles are being used to teach science and social studies in grades 4-6.

CONSENT AGENDA: The following items were on the consent agenda:
1. September 10, 2007, minutes
2. Financial reports

Motion by John Burrell, seconded by Larrie Williams to approve the items on the consent agenda. Ayes: 5.

SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT: Dr. Hulleman reported on the following items.
1. The IASB District Meeting will be held on October 18 in Indianola.
2. Staff development for all employees will be held on October 24. The topic of the inservice will be “School House Bullies: Preventive Strategies for Professional Educators”.
3. Ads will be placed in the Record-Herald and Warren Pride for the sale of two used school buses through sealed bids.

AIR CONDITIONING PROJECTS: Dr. Hulleman related that in researching air conditioning for the buildings it appears that individual air conditioning units in each classroom would be a cost effective way to air condition the buildings. Dr. Hulleman will follow up with the electric company to see if the building systems could handle the additional electrical load. Dr. Hulleman will arrange a visit to the Twin Cedars School District to look at their air conditioning system. They have installed individual units in two of their buildings and are very satisfied with their performance.

HOMECOMING: Dr. Hulleman related to the Board that the Children First Forum had discussed whether to eliminate Homecoming or find ways to make Homecoming a better experience. The Children First Forum requested input from the Board to be considered at the next Children First Forum meeting on November 26. The consensus of the Board was to not eliminate Homecoming entirely, but to consider not having some of the activities.

AWARDING OF LETTERS FOR TRAPSHOOTING AND BOWLING: Dr. Hulleman asked for the Board’s input on awarding letters for trapshooting and bowling as is done for athletics and band. The consensus of the Board was to award letters for trapshooting and bowling. Dr. Hulleman will have the coaches develop criteria for earning letters.

TOBACCO-FREE ENVIRONMENT: The Board discussed Board Policy 1006.2, “Smoke-Free Environment”. The current policy prohibits smoking in school district buildings, bleachers, and school vehicles, but does not prohibit smoking outside. The general consensus of the Board was to leave the policy as it currently is.

SUPERINTENDENT EVALUATION FORM: Legislation passed in 2007 requires that Iowa school boards use the evaluation process developed jointly by the Iowa Association of School Boards and the School Administrators of Iowa. The new superintendent evaluation form was reviewed by the Board. A training session on the new superintendent evaluation process will be held on November 2 for board presidents and vice presidents.

OFFICIAL RESULTS OF REGULAR SCHOOL ELECTION: The Board reviewed the results of the September 11, 2007, regular school election. Motion by Jennifer Mihalovichh, seconded by Paul Mead to accept the results of the regular school election. Ayes: 5. The results of the September 11, 2007, election were as follows:

Director District #5 (term 9-07 to 9-10)
Larrie Williams 68 Votes
Write-In Scattering 0 Votes

President Ron Miller adjourned the meeting at 7:07 p.m.

ORGANIZATIONAL MEETING

The organizational meeting of the Southeast Warren Board of Education was called to order at 7:17 p.m. by President Ron Miller. The following board members were present: Larrie Williams, Jennifer Mihalovichh, Paul Mead and John Burrell. Superintendent Dr. Harold Hulleman, Secondary Principal Terry Gladfelter, Intermediate Principal Cindy Butler, Primary Principal Charlotte Weaklend, Transportation Director Joel Mosher, and Board Secretary Julie Wilson were also in attendance, along with members from the community.

AGENDA: Motion by Paul Mead, seconded by John Burrell to approve the agenda. Ayes: 5.

OATH OF OFFICE: Board Secretary Julie Wilson administered the oath of office to Larrie Williams.

ELECT PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT: Board Secretary Julie Wilson called for nominations for President. Jennifer Mihalovichh nominated Paul Mead. Larrie Williams nominated Ron Miller. Motion by Ron Miller, seconded by Larrie Williams for nominations to cease. Ayes: 5. Roll call vote was taken. Paul Mead and Larrie Williams voted for Ron Miller. Jennifer Mihalovichh, John Burrell, and Ron Miller voted for Paul Mead. Paul Mead was elected President.

President Mead called for nominations for Vice President. Ron Miller nominated Larrie Williams. Jennifer Mihalovichh nominated John Burrell. Motion by Ron Miller, seconded by Larrie Williams for nominations to cease. Ayes: 5. Roll call vote was taken. Jennifer Mihalovichh and Larrie Williams voted for John Burrell. John Burrell, Ron Miller and Paul Mead voted for Larrie Williams. Larrie Williams was voted Vice President.

Board Secretary Julie Wilson administered the oath of office for President to Paul Mead and for Vice President to Larrie Williams.

APPONT BOARD MEMEBERS TO SERVE AS REPRESENTATIVES: President Paul Mead appointed board members to serve as representatives for the following groups:
1. Warren County Conference Board – John Burrell
2. Children First Forum – Ron Miller
3. Athletic Boosters – Larrie Williams
4. Fine Arts Boosters – Jennifer Mihalovichh
5. Legislative Action Network and delegate to IASB Assembly – Paul Mead

RESOLUTION TO APPROVE SIGNATURES ON CHECKING ACCOUNTS: Julie Wilson reported to the Board that all checks are to be signed by the Board President and Board Secretary. A resolution is required in order for someone other than the Board President to sign checks. Currently Sue Ellingson is signing the Lunch Fund checks and LuAnn Ohnemus is signing the Activity Fund checks. Motion by Jennifer Mihalovichh, seconded by Larrie Williams to approve the signatures of Sue Ellingson on the Lunch Fund checks and LuAnn Ohnemus on the Activity Fund checks. Ayes: 5.

PERSONNEL CHANGES: Dr. Hulleman recommended accepting the resignations of Donna Clay, Associate, and Phil Oliver, Assistant HS Boys’ Track Coach; and the approval of the appointments of Sherri Riggan, Associate; Steven Melone, Special Education Teacher; Joyce Blum, Daycare Associate; Andrew Gladfelter, Part Time Evening Custodian; and Julene Ripperger, Preschool Route Driver. Motion by Ron Miller, seconded by Jennifer Mihalovichh to approve the personnel changes as presented. Ayes: 5.

APPROVE ALLOCATION OF TEACHER QUALITY MONEY: Dr. Hulleman related to the Board that the District would receive $166,841 in Teacher Quality money for the 2007-2008 school year. Dr. Hulleman recommended dividing the allocation equally between all teachers on an FTE basis. Motion by Larrie Williams, seconded by Ron Miller to approve the Teacher Quality allocation as recommended. Ayes: 5.

APPROVE LEARNING CENTER PROGRAM AGREEMENT: Dr. Hulleman recommended approval of the Learning Center Program Agreement with the Indianola Community School District. Motion by Jennifer Mihalovichh, seconded by Larrie Williams to approve the Learning Center Program Agreement with the Indianola Community School District. Ayes: 5.

PARKING LOT PROJECTS: Dr. Hulleman recommended accepting the final completion of the Liberty Center and Milo parking lot projects and to approve final payment to Norris Asphalt Paving Company in the amount of $9,710.00. Motion by Ron Miller, seconded by Larrie Williams to accept the final completion of the parking lot projects and to approve final payment in the amount of $9,710.00 to Norris Asphalt Paving Company. Ayes: 5

CERTIFIED ANNUAL REPORT: Julie Wilson briefly reviewed the Certified Annual Report for the period ending June 30, 2007.

BOARD POLICIES: The Board reviewed Board Policy Sections 804, “Reports”, 805, “Records”, and 806, “Insurance”. There were no revisions made to the policies.

The Board scheduled a work session for October 16 at 5:30. Topics to be discussed include the Good Conduct Policy, Homecoming, dress code, harassment/bullying and planning for the 2008-09 school year.

President Paul Mead adjourned the meeting at 8:08 p.m.

Return to top

Calendar
Nutrition
Online Grades
Homework Help

Questions or Comments?
E-mail the