SOUTHEAST WARREN COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
REGULAR BOARD MEETING
March 14, 2005

The Southeast Warren Board of Education met in regular session March 14, 2005, in the technology center of the Junior/Senior High School building. Board President Ron Miller called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. The following board members were present: Jennifer Birchette and John Burrell. Chris Hardy and Chris Wadle were absent. Superintendent Harold Hulleman, Secondary Principal Terry Gladfelter, Intermediate Principal Cindy Butler, Primary Principal Charlotte Weaklend and Board Secretary Julie Wilson were also in attendance, along with members of the community.

AGENDA: Dr. Hulleman noted the addition of one resignation under personnel changes on the agenda. Motion by Jennifer Birchette, seconded by John Burrell to approve the agenda. Ayes: 3.

REPORTS:

Primary Principal’s report submitted by Charlotte Weaklend:

We all learn new material better when we are given the opportunity to reflect upon our learning. In order to help cement some of their new learning and to help students rehearse what they would say when their parents asked them after school what they had learned today, as well as to give you a first hand look at what curriculum is being taught in the Primary building, we performed the following exercise on March 8, 2005. During opening assembly I asked the kindergarten through 3rd grade students to write down (or in the case of Kindergarten students to tell their teacher) at the end of the day anything new and interesting that they had learned on that particular day. They had all day to think of their responses. Here is what a few of them said:

Kindergartners - “I learned to zip my coat. . . I learned to add numbers. . .I learned how to write the letter Z. . .I read make-believe words. . .I sorted ‘z’ toys (toys that began with the letter ‘z’) . . .I learned that you never can tell what an animal may do.”

First graders - “The state flag is cool. . . We used our imagination. . . We saw a panther, and it was funny. . . The state capitol is Des Moines. . .Ir’, ‘er’, and ‘ur’ all say ‘er’”. . .I saw a cat. . . I learned a new game. . . We counted by tens starting at 13, 23, 33. . . The state flag is blue, white, and red.”

Second graders - “I learned what ‘awning’ means. It means to cover something. . Mrs. Williams taught us the water cycle song . . . We made half sets with tiles . . . I learned about ground water . . . We divided shapes and books. . . We did even numbers. . That if you divided ten by two, you get five. . . We sang the antonym song today. . . During the floods of ‘93 there was no water for a
week, and they used sand bags to stop the water. . . Floods of ‘93 were the worst flood Iowa ever had. . . We learned minus seven math facts.”

Third graders - “I learned that birds and fish are vertebrates. . . I learned how to do cursive Q and V. . .I learned that owls can see in the dark. . . Fish have backbones and are cold blooded. . . I learned the ‘pledge’ in sign language. . . A starfish pushes its stomach out through its mouth. Then it wraps its stomach around a clam. . . I’m learning how to do multiplication. . . Birds have beaks and feathers. . .I learned that all birds fly, even penguins and ostriches. . . I learned that birds have hollow bones. . . We’re learning division. . . I learned the biggest eagle is bigger than a great dane.”

The annual elementary school carnival entitled “Come Play with the Backyard Animals” was held on the evening of March 4th at the Primary center. Many pk-6 students attended this event with their parents and obviously had a great time. A huge thanks to the PIE members and other parents and community members who donated food items and their time to organize and supervise this year’s event, as well as the many corporate sponsors who donated raffle prizes. In addition, several high school groups pitched in, including the after prom committee and the ECP students. A special thank you to Randy Uttley for setting up and supervising the Milo Lyon’s Club’s jump house on our front lawn, and to the Lyons for allowing us the use of this fun inflatable ride. It’s always a favorite. Every classroom hosted a different game this year, with the traditional cake walk in the media center.

Teachers Shelly Mitzelfelt, Brian Harkin, and Vicki Young have joined the administrative team in the important work of creating the new S. E. Warren teacher evaluation plan that is to be in place by July, 2005, as per the No Child Left Behind legislation. We have met several times and have the job nearly completed. One of the major differences between the old and the new plans is the reflective piece that involves teachers in a more active role in reviewing their own performance and making ongoing goals for improvement, as well as documentation that our teachers are achieving the eight Iowa Teaching Standards.

We have completed our third elementary book fair of the school year and are anticipating our fourth and final book fair the week of April 11th, our designated Book Week at the Primary building. Our first book fair was held the week of Open House in August. The second and third were held the week of the fall and the spring parent-teacher conferences.

Attendance at the spring parent-teacher conferences was very good at our level, as usual, with an overall attendance rate of 93%. This represents only a 2% decline from our Fall Conference attendance of 95%. Break down by individual grades of spring conference participation was as follows:

Kindergarten 95%
First Grade 93%
Second Grade 94%
Third Grade 89%

We are looking forward to our artist-in-residence opportunity made possible through a generous donation from the Partners in Education group. John Faxon (Fax) Gilbert, Jr., artist and educator with over twenty years experience using the performance skills of mime, magic, masks, and comedy to teach and inspire students at all grade levels, will present a “How To Be Happy” - Developing Character in Kids program to the 4-6th graders during the afternoon of March 28th and then will work with the K-3 students throughout the day on the 29th. His work in the Primary building will begin with a special character assembly program in the morning, followed by training sessions with six preselected third grade boys and six third grade girls. At the end of the school day, the children will again assemble for another character program for the K-3 students. During the evening of the 28th a special family character program will be presented at the high school for all students K-12 and their parents, starting with a free meal of beef burgers and hot dogs for all provided by the Partners in Education with donations from several local businesses. The twelve 3rd graders who work with Fax during the day of the 28th will be featured performers at the evening event. All indications are that this is a top notch character program, and that all will take some valuable lessons away from the experience.

Intermediate Principal’s report submitted by Cindy Butler

1. Parent Teacher Conferences February 22 & 24, 2005

Held

Possible

Percent

Mr. Jones

81%

Mrs. Ripperger

88%

Mrs. Clay

81%

Mrs. Schneider

94%

Mr. Harken

65%

Mrs. Mead

93%

Homeroom Totals

83%

Mrs. Beard

88%

Mrs. Butler

83%

The total homeroom conferences held this February was down from November conference totals (89%), but up slightly compared to this time last year. Last year 78% of the parents attended the second conference of the year.

2. All the students in the intermediate school have been learning about careers during their classroom guidance time. Mr. Babcock organized an assembly with several people from the community sharing with the students about their careers. The community people were very informative and we thank them for sharing with our students. All adult participants emphasized the importance of an education in order to achieve career goals. Our students were attentive and asked many questions. We thank Mr. Babcock for organizing this worthwhile event and encouraging our students to think about their future plans.

3. Gary Nanke who is working with the middle school math project, E2T2, came to model a math lesson for the two sixth grade teachers. He shared materials with the teachers and led the students through a lesson combining probability, fractions, decimals and percents. Students eagerly interacted with Mr. Nanke and he was pleased with their ability to explain their mathematical reasoning.

4. Resource room teacher, Mrs. Beard, recently traveled to Argentina with a group of Farm Bureau members. Yesterday she shared her experiences with the sixth grade social studies classes as Argentina and South America are part of the sixth grade curriculum. Mrs. Beard had pictures, objects, and lots of information to share with students. Her presentation made the study of this region of the world more meaningful to the students.

5. Science Night will be held on Thursday, March 17, beginning at 6:30. Everyone is invited to attend and view science projects from each grade level.

Secondary Principal’s report submitted by Terry Gladfelter:

Graduation Rates – We recently received information from the state comparing our graduation and dropout rates to the state averages. The charts below present the information.

Graduation Rates

southeast warren

State

2003-2004

97.56%

89.7%

2002-2003

95.12%

90.4%

Dropout Rates

SEW 7-12

State 7-12

SEW 9-12

State 9-12

2003-2004

.35%

1.61%

.53%

2.39%

2002-2003

.37%

1.34%

.55%

1.98%

Pride of Iowa Academic Day - Thursday, March 3, seven of our students competed in the POI Academic Day. The students were Emily Claghorn, Korie Downs, Matt Farley, Braden Gardner, Andrew Gladfelter, Nathan Myers, and Danielle Squier. This year’s competition was in the areas of Language Arts, Social Studies, and Business. A general knowledge test was given first. Nathan Myers received 4th place in General Social Studies, Korie Downs 2nd place in Government, Braden Gardner 2nd place in American History, and Andrew Gladfelter 2nd place in Literature. After the tests there was a quiz bowl of three rounds, and 60 questions in each round. The SEW students placed first in the evening competition against seven other teams that had twelve students per team. This is the first time we have ever won the quiz bowl competition. Our students all received medals and our team placed 3rd overall for the entire competition.

Warren County Conference Board: John Burrell related that he had attended a Warren County Conference Board meeting on February 16th. The main topic of discussion for the meeting was the duties and responsibilities of the Conference Board and assessment procedures.

Children First Forum: Ron Miller related that the next Children First Forum meeting will be held on March 28th.

Fine Arts Boosters: Jennifer Birchette related that the Pops Concert would be held at the high school tomorrow night.

CONSENT AGENDA: The following items were on the consent agenda:
1. February 14, 2005, minutes
2. Financial reports

Motion by John Burrell, seconded by Jennifer Birchette to approve the items on the consent agenda. Ayes: 3.

SUPERINTENDENT’S REPORT: Dr. Hulleman reported on the following items:
1. The Iowa Association of School Boards will be holding an ABLE II session entitled Improved Student Learning in Reading on April 7th.
2. An IASB Leadership for Learning Conference will be held on April 8th from 9:00 to 4:30 in Urbandale.
3. A letter was sent out today to all residents and property owners in Liberty Center asking for support of Project Mainstreet 2005. The District will be making an application for a $3,000 grant to help make improvements to the appearance of Liberty Center. Residents and property owners are asked for support and ideas on improving the appearance of Liberty Center.
4. The joint board meeting with Melcher-Dallas will be held on April 4th in Lacona at 7:00 p.m.

FOOTBALL FIELD FENCES: Dr. Hulleman recommended obtaining bids for two fences for the football field. The inner fence would be four feet high and surround the field approximately 30 feet from the outside edge of the playing field. This fence would provide a barrier between fans and the playing field. The outer fence would be six or seven feet high and would surround the entire area. This fence would provide for field security and would allow us to better monitor the taking of tickets. The consensus of the Board was to obtain bids for both fences, with the inner fence being the priority at this time.

STUDENT ACHIEVEMENT SCORES: Terry Gladfelter reviewed the math achievement scores for the past three years. The percent of students proficient (scoring at the 41st percentile or higher) ranged from 64.8% to 89.5% for grades 3 through 11.

2005-2006 BUDGET: Julie Wilson reviewed the proposed 2005-2006 budget. The proposed tax rate is $18.02723 per $1,000 assessed valuation, which compares to this year’s tax rate of $18.03375 per $1,000 assessed valuation. Motion by John Burrell, seconded by Jennifer Birchette to approve the 2005-2006 budget for publication as presented and set the hearing date for April 11th at 7:00 in Liberty Center. Ayes: 3.

ELP TRIP TO OMAHA: Cindy Butler requested approval of an overnight ELP trip to Omaha. Nine students will be raising money and participating in the trip. Motion by Jennifer Birchette, seconded by John Burrell to approve the ELP trip to Omaha. Ayes: 3.

PERSONNEL CHANGES: Dr. Hulleman recommended approval of hiring Mike Tierney as the assistant HS girl’s track coach and accepting the resignation of George Ricklefs, high school custodian, effective March 28th. Motion by John Burrell, seconded by Jennifer Birchette to approve the personnel assignment and resignation as presented. Ayes: 3.

BOARD POLICY 1004.1R: Dr. Hulleman recommended revising Board Policy 1004.1R “Fees for School Use” by adding item 6 to clarify what groups or organizations are excluded from paying facility fees. Item 6 reads: “Any groups associated with the school district will not have a room charge, e.g., Athletic Boosters and Fine Arts Boosters.” The revision would not exclude these organizations from paying cook or custodial salaries when those services are used. Motion by Jennifer Birchette, seconded by John Burrell to approve adding item 6 to Board Policy 1004.1R, “Fees for School Use”. Ayes: 3.

BOARD POLICY SECTIONS 700, 701 AND 702: The Board reviewed Board Policy Sections 700, “Statement of Guiding Principles”, 701, “School Lunch Program”, and 702, “Transportation”.

CLOSED SESSION: Dr. Hulleman requested a closed session with the Board for the purpose of evaluating his performance as Superintendent. Motion by John Burrell, seconded by Jennifer Birchette to go into closed session as per Iowa Code Section 21.5(1)(i) of the open meetings law for the purpose of evaluating the Superintendent. Roll call vote was taken. Ayes: Burrell, Birchette and Miller. Motion passed 3:0. The time was 7:59 p.m.

President Miller called the closed session to an end at 8:37 p.m.

President Miller adjourned the meeting at 8:37 p.m.

Return to top

Calendar
Nutrition
Online Grades
Homework Help

Questions or Comments?
E-mail the